How to Create a DIY Wow Factor for Your Yard
Obtaining that perfect wow factor in your outdoor living space may feel like an overwhelming task, but you can achieve the design you’re looking for without spending a lot of money or hiring a professional landscape designer. The options for creating a stunning focal point are endless, but hardscaping is one of the most affordable, effective methods.
The most popular hardscape do-it-yourself projects include:
• Decorative rocks and boulders- The right decorative rock can bring life to any garden or home. Stones are often used in landscape beds, in driveways, bird baths, drainage systems and more. Decorative rocks are low-maintenance, hold their color, and offer homeowners an inexpensive way to get a lavish look.
Boulders are also an attractive, affordable way to add curb appeal to your property. A few small boulders placed along a garden path can create a remarkable design statement. Alternatively, large boulders strategically placed and stacked can create a work of art for your outdoor space. Boulders are also great for use along waterways. Surround the boulders with native plants, and you’ve created a beautiful masterpiece for your yard.
• Dry stack walls and retaining walls- Dry stack walls are an affordable do-it-yourself alternative to expensive brick and mortar landscaping. Most projects can be completed within one weekend in just a few, simple steps. GE Landscape Supply’s guide on How to Install a Retaining Wall provides photos and step-by-step instructions that can be mastered by any do-it-yourselfer.
Free standing retaining walls are great for extra seating in your outdoor living space, and are visually appealing from both sides. They also create outdoor ‘rooms’ for entertainment purposes.
• Fire pits- Adding a fire pit to your backyard or patio creates the perfect focal point for your outdoor living space. A GE Landscape Supply kit is an affordable, do-it-yourself alternative to hiring an expensive landscape designer. By using this GE Landscape Supply installation guide, most fire pits can be installed within just a few hours. GE offers fire pit kits with or without a cooking grate, and offers a fire pit cap to add to either kit for a more finished, designer look.
• Flagstone pathways- An inviting flagstone pathway is the perfect way to welcome visitors to your yard or favorite flower garden. This type of path is a practical way to control traffic patterns and provides a beautiful and timeless, yet practical feature to your outdoor living space, while also increasing your property value.
GE Landscape Supply’s guide on How to Install a Flagstone Walkway provides photos and step-by-step instructions that can be mastered by any do-it-yourselfer.
GE Landscape Supply offers a variety of materials for all of your hardscape needs, along with installation guides to make your DIY project simpler.
How to Select Flagstone
This can seem daunting at first, as there are many different colors, shapes, thicknesses, and cuts of flagstone. But find comfort in the fact that by having a wide variety you are sure to find the perfect match for your outdoor project! GE Landscape provides complementary design services and experts on staff to help find the best solution for your application, but here are a few tips to consider as you layout your vision for your project.
• Flagstone comes in many colors, shapes and sizes. Each is unique as they come from different quarries.
• Are you looking for a clean-cut piece of stone that is square or rectangle sizes. Standard cut pieces are very contemporary looking when used. They give the appearance of a natural tile.
• Decide if you want a more natural look. In that case you may choose irregular shaped slab pieces. This is beautiful when laid down and resembles a puzzle.
• Decide how much traffic the area will get. This will help determine how thick your stone should be. The higher traffic areas may require thicker stone, especially in commercial settings.
• How will you use the flagstone? This will help determine if you need a smooth surface or can select a more rustic flagstone.
• Are stacking the flagstone? Depending on the project when stacking the flagstone the size and shape will be a factor.
What is Hard Scaping?
It occurred to us that people in the industry throw about terms and assume everyone knows what we are talking about. As a company we are focused on helping, educating and equipping do-it-yourselfers when it comes to backyard projects. We know what it is like to have a vision of your project but need a bit of help or a comfort level in describing it to when you purchase materials. Lets start with the basic term of hardscape.
Hardscape refers to the paved areas and decorative elements like sidewalks, patios, walkways, fountains, outdoor kitchens, ponds, water features and firepits primarily. It refers to anything using hard materials such as pavers, rock, flagstone, retaining wall blocks, and boulders. The term excludes plants, shrubs, trees and bushes.
At GE Landscape Supply, we specialize in hardscape material! We have all the materials to create your hardscape vision. Pavers, flagstone, decorative rock, boulders and retaining wall blocks are a great start to building an area that will last through time.
Have a vision but need a plan? Bring a picture of the area that you want to hardscape and will design a complementary plan for you.
Find Us at the Husker Lawn and Leisure Show
What is your plan?
There is a quote that states, "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." At GE Landscape Supply we are committed to helping you create an outdoor living space that is not only functional but beautiful. To get a great looking yard it starts by having a plan in place and the following are some of the ways we can help:
#1. Visit our website at www.gelandscapesupply.com which is loaded with useful information including short informative videos, material calculators, a section of great looking project pictures, and detailed information on the materials we carry.
#2. Our website contains contact information to get you in touch with our landscaping experts who can arrange a time to do a free, customized landscaping plan for your yard.
#3. We offer product specials and project insight on our Facebookpage. We post a facebook special every week and have entertaining contests and giveways that are exclusive to facebook users. Facebook is also is a great place for you to share pictures of your "do it yourself" success stories.
Of course we are only a phone call away at (402) 467-1627 and remember a great plan will help you Dream It. Design It. Build It.
The "Dream Patio"
We encourage our customers to Dream It. Design It. Build It. and that is exactly what Sean Wilson is doing. Sean stopped by our materials sales office recently with an idea for the construction of his dream patio. There was only one problem, Sean had never built one. The patio he had in mind was close to 1,200 square feet and Sean wanted to make sure the project was constructed correctly. This is where GE Landscape Supply enters the story and Sean's recent visit. After some discussion a complimentary consultation was arranged with Brent Van Winkle, our Landscape Supply Sales Manager. Brent visited the project site to discuss installation tips and answer pricing questions. Since the initial appointment, Sean's project is off to a great start as he has been busy installing 9 pallets of Belgard Dublin Cobble Pavers and over 20 tons of Limestone Screenings. We can't wait to see the final product.
Look for an update on Sean's project in our next enewsletter.
Spring Hours Start Soon
SPRING HOURS START SOON!
Starting April 1st, our retail office will be open from 7am-6pm Monday thru Friday and open Saturday from 7am-4pm. Our yard at GE Landscape Supply is stocked with the area's largest selection of mulch, decorative rock, patio supplies and many other outdoor products. Any quantity is available for purchase and deliveries are easy to schedule for large quantities. For more information about products, how to calculate materials needed, delivery fees, or to request a free landsape design for your yard, check out our website at www.gelandscapesupply.com or stop by 6701 Cornhusker Highway to get started on your project.